One wants to wander away from the world’s some-wheres..
....................into our own nowhere.”

Sunday, January 8, 2012

"POW!" Therefore I Am

By Ruben Rivera. Art by Anita Rivera.
All copyright laws apply.
Tea Rat: Rattus, I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a long time.

Rattus: That sounds serious.

Tea Rat: It is and if I can't get an answer I'm afraid of what comes next.

Rattus: You're scaring me, son. What is it?

Tea Rat: How can I know if I exist? 

Rattus: The philosopher Decartes answered that question with the famous dictum cogito ergo sum, I think therefore I am. So the fact that you're asking the question proves you exist to ask it.

Tea Rat: I don't know. That sounds like a bunch of hocus pocus to me. Just because you think something doesn't mean it exists.

Rattus: No, no, you misunderstand. He didn't say that anything you can think of must exist. Just that thinking is evidence of the existence of a thinker.

Tea Rat: Sure, sure, but there's just one part I still don't understand.

Rattus: What part is that?

Tea Rat: The whole part.
Tea Rat: OW !!! My arm!

Rattus: Tell me, if you don't exist, who's pain is that? 

12 comments:

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

You are such a HOOT RATTUS!!! Haaaaaa
I must go get mum. She has to read this..
Bebe

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

TEA RAT: Oh, sorry! I don't know my own strength! SEE? I can't know that I exist since I didn't even know my own strength! GO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT, SON!!!!!

Christel Hutson said...

wonderful explanation old man! Tea..if you are loved, then surely you must exist, and we know you are loved! xoxox Hazel

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

TEA:

OOOOoooooo, Hazel, I THINK YOU'VE GOT IT! I DO EXIST!!!!!!!!!

Ruben Rivera said...

You do exist, and that was just a love tap. Love, love, love. See, that's how you know love is real. It hurts so bad what else can it be.
R

Christel Hutson said...

?&*^% BOINK*&^%!$#!! there there Rattus, you didn't think we would leave you out did you?..a little love tap for you too..oh wait!! Is that a lump on your noggin'?..old man? oh dear, I think I tapped him a bit too hard! xoxo Hazel

Jacqueline said...

To exist I dare say, is much more than just being human.(Gretta scratching behind her ear in thought...)

Gretta with her thinking cap on...pondering the very word POW! Smack in the kisser! (Scratching harder!)

That must be what it means to exsist...POW! (Throwing her paws to the wind, by golly she's got it!) Gretta simply exsist to kiss.
Where art though Raccoon?

Ruben Rivera said...

Rattus: Now even I'm confused.

Christel Hutson said...

Rattus, I thought I should pop back in and check on you..has the swelling gone down? I really am sorry about that love tap, and I have brought a nice hot cup of cheese soup..when it hits the bottom of your belly, you will be so happy you do indeed exist! mmm cheese soup, now what rat could resist that? xoxox Hazel ~

Palomasea said...

Oh, dear!!!
:))))
You exist and you matter!!!!! :)))
xoxoxox,
- Irina

The Dutchess said...

This is so strange..I was here before but,,where's my comment.?I'm sure I exist...:-)

Burlap Luxe said...

I have traveled from afar to amuse myself with art and story.

I really need to visit way more often and catch up on all the action over here :)

Rattus what is love without a love tap, or a light slam or two...I am tapping my way out of here :)

Thank you for your beautiful visit, we little MICE over here love RATS of sorts to visit, did you nibble on the chesse we left out for you? He, he, he!! I have a new type of cheese to try so please do stop by for our chees tasting party, we will gladly save some for you.

Say!! Cheese! :)

xx
DORE