*

Welcome traveler...

..for those who seek magical worlds..

Sunday, November 27, 2011

He Was A Good Rat.

Ruben Rivera©

Rattus: Tea Rat, what are you doing?

Tea Rat: I'm writing my obituary. I was reading the newspaper obituaries and they're not very exciting. No plot. No foreshadowing. No hero's quest. No rising action, climax, or falling action, no conflict or resolution. When I die, I want to make sure the newspapers get my obituary right.


Rattus: You just mentioned parts of fictional literature. An obituary is a simple public notice of someone's death with a few factual highlights of their life.

Tea Rat: It doesn't have to be boring does it? It's not enough that I'll be dead, the summation of my life has to be dead too? We want meaning, drama, characters that a reader cares about, irony, literary panache. The reader should be in tears when they're done, emotionally spent, unable to take any more.

Reepicheep, Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawntreader

Rattus: Alright. Let's hear the obituary you have created for yourself.

Tea Rat: "He was a good rat."



Rattus: That's it?

Tea Rat: What do you think? Why, Rattus, you're crying.

Rattus: I'm emotionally spent. 

Tea Rat: Well, whaddaya know. It worked.

"Blessed are the cheese-makers."
Rattus: Please stop. I can't take any more. 
.
.

12 comments:

Rattus Scribus said...

Rattus: Well as long as we are going to spin tall tales about our life, I think I'm going to claim that I invented the internet.

Tea Rat: What are you talking about. I invented the internet.

Rattus: You don't even know what the internet is.

Tea Rat: Yes I do. It's a net I invented to catch things inside the house or enclosed area. Hence "inside-net" or internet.

Rattus: You're cracked, old rat. "Inter" comes from the Latin "in" and "terra" meaning "in the earth or ground." Hence the INTERNET, which I invented, is a device for gathering dirt or earth.

Tea Rat: Oh I invented something for that too. It's called a shovel.

morikomidori said...

i think these two will live forever :3

morikomidori said...

ps. your musical taste is excellent!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Ruben, you are the best. YOU are Rattus...and I am Tea Rat. Big ideas, eyes bigger than my stomach and a dreamer. We were meant for each other.

Palomasea said...

Oh dear..such talk!! Long live Tea Rat and Rattus!!!

:))))
xoxo,
- Irina

Christel said...

I agree..long live the two of you! Rattus ...if, and when the day comes your odituary is read, there will be much more to say to, for, and about you!A scholar among mice, and men, a friend to many!

Angelsdoor * Penny said...

I think ~He was a good rat~ about says it all!!! Short and sweet..
Long live TEA RAT, and we must not forget Rattus...
Bebe

The Dutchess said...

BRAVO...Bravo...Miss Moussie is impressed..a witty writer and an inventor of catchy things...you are great..the both of you ofcourse..:)

Unknown said...

Dear Tea,

There is much to be said about knowing you and you should make a list as long as Santa. Kinda a good rat, bad rat thing. You could list all the pro's and con's that you have explored, experienced, hungered for, lived for and died for. You are a rat that deserves the front page of the New York Times. I am your greatest fan...and always will be,

Little Gretta
From Gothere.

Unknown said...

Tea Rat,

Now you have me thinking...
Mine will just simply say...She was a living doll. The End...
Pippit!


Jacqueline must comment too, never a girl with a curl lost for words...
Mine will be on the back page of the Nowhere Tribune and it will just read...LOVED (by you)

My Grama's Soul said...

I LOVE visiting here and reading all the cute stories and the interplay among the sweet characters.

Have a blessed week,

Jo

hi-d said...

Too funny! Love the astronaut photo! :)